what is ftlo all about?
The name pretty much sums it up. We started For The Love of Travel, for the love of travel - for the incredible, life-changing thing that travel is. And we wanted to make it easier for busy young people to do more of it in an authentic, sustainable way.
Travel isn't something you can only do on a gap year or when you're retired. We see it as something to be incorporated throughout a person's life- a necessary and continuing education that deserves as much devotion as academia.
We curate fun, well-rounded itineraries and take care of the major details to give you more time to explore, experience, learn and connect with the people around you and places you're in. That way, you can have an authentic cultural experience and a vacation.
Why join an FTLO trip?
1. Fun. You'll be spending a week exploring a foreign country while getting to know a bunch of cool people your age. It's a blast.
2. Hassle-free. We've already taken care of the logistics so you don't have to spend hours planning or waste your vacation time dealing with unforeseen issues, spending money you didn't budget for, or stressing about, well, anything.
3. Insider knowledge. We already know the best spots, how to get there, and what's cool about them. This means you don't have to spend your time abroad on your phone looking up Yelp reviews and reading Wikipedia.
4. A crew. Solo travel is great but it's a blast to travel with a crew. At the same time, we know how hard it is to plan international travel with friends. Between varying work schedules, budgets, and personalities, it can be super frustrating to try to organize trips with multiple people. Going on an FTLO trip means you'll always be travelling with up to 14 people around your age, all open to meeting new people, trying new things, and having a good time.
5. No Pressure. FTLO allows you to travel with people without the pressure of feeling like you have to do everything together. You can spend the whole day wandering around by yourself and still have people to get dinner with at the end of the day. Even if you sign up with friends, it's easier for you to break away on your own for a bit in a group setting like this.
Who goes on FTLO trips?
Our trips are designed for people aged 25-39 who are looking to travel more and meet like-minded people along the way.
We get a lot of questions about who goes on our trips so here is breakdown of what to expect on a trip:
Average age: 30 (most fall between 27 and 34)
80% go alone
70-80% women, 20-30% men (Note: the ratio really doesn't affect overall trip enjoyment!)
60% say they are single and looking to mingle
90% are college graduates
75% live in big cities
100% want to travel and meet new people
The most important thing to know is that everyone on our trips chooses to be there, so already you know they are most likely outgoing, open to new experiences, looking to meet new people, and ready to have a good time.
What's up with Gal spots and Guy spots?
We try for a balanced gender ratio on our trips, which is why we hold a certain number of spots for the gender who tends to book later (ahem, guys). That said, we have little control over the final ratio and do open up guy spots to gals the closer we get to the departure date. If spots for your gender are sold out, we definitely recommend signing up for the waitlist!
Note: At the end of the day, the gender ratio really doesn't affect trip enjoyment. There are always locals to flirt with if that's what you're looking for :)
Is an FTLO Trip right for me?
Our trips are right for you if:
You're social, independent, curious, and fun-loving
You're interested in trying new things and meeting new people
You can go with the flow
Our trips are not right for you if:
You're difficult, rude, or mean
You complain a lot
You can't handle your alcohol
You have severe social anxiety
You're not open to new experiences
Are these luxury trips?
No, our trips are not luxury, but definitely not budget. We're right in the middle, with enough experience to know when it makes sense to save and when it's worth it to splurge. (Aka we might stay in a funky B&B for a night so we can include a Michellin star meal or a private catamaran ride).
If our trips cost more than similar companies, it's probably because we either include more, or what we include is better quality. We're discerning but we're not a luxury travel company. (Just for a point of reference, luxury travel trips cost, on average, double what an FTLO trip costs and you stay at the Four Seasons!)
How big are groups?
Groups are between 5 and 15 people with an average group size of 10. We cap the number of people on each trip to cultivate a sense of community without making you feel like you're part of a herd. Plus, smaller numbers allow us to more easily assimilate into the local community.
Ok, I'm in. Now what?
Great! Once you've decided which trip you want to join, click the "book" button on the trip page. This will take you to a secure embedded booking page run by Rezdy, a booking software company. Here you can enter your info, pick your optionals, and click "BOOK." All booking are submitted on a conditional basis, meaning your trip is not confirmed until we have approved you and received your payment (deposit or full). Once you're confirmed, you will receive an email from us with next steps.
If you pay in full, your spot and price are guaranteed and you're set! If you only want to pay the deposit initially, you will receive automatic payment requests at 90 days, 60 days, and 30 days before the trip. If you don't pay in full up front, your trip price is not set in stone and we reserve the right to increase the cost up to 3% of trip total to account for changes in the exchange rate of the places we visit.
Do NOT book your flights until you get a green light from us, and make sure to check the trip details to see if you need to arrive by a certain time.
We'll be sending you lots of reminders leading up to the trip so you're well prepared.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to send us an email or text. If you'd like to talk with someone before booking, let us know and we'll schedule a call!